White Imperial

 Neomyrina nivea

 Selangor
19 August 2023
 
 
I had an opportunity to observe the White Imperial (Neomyrina nivea) engaged in its flying ovipositing behavior, attempting to lay eggs. However, I wasn't able to capture a photo of it actually laid the eggs on the leaves.
Upon closer examination of the leaves where it attempted oviposition, I discovered several eggs on the tender shoots of this plant whose identity I am not certain, possibly the Chengal Tree.  I had some help from some experts, whose sharings have been really enligtening!
.





Comments from Mr Teo in my facebook post

The late Dr. S. Igarashi documented the life history of this butterfly (see below 👇) from Thailand.
He identified the larval host plant as Kurrimia paniculata and there is another plant this butterfly laid her eggs on it, but was observed in Laos, 👇

Igarashi also figured Kurrimia paniculata (picture below) in his comprehansive life histories book  (Looked like the plant I saw the eggs)
 

 
Tina Young's comments to Mr Teo
Potanthus Ttp is correct of course but Kurrimia paniculata is a synonym of Bhesa paniculata (Centroplacaceae). The only other known hosts that I know of are Neobalanocarpus heimii (Dipterocarpaceae) and Fissistigma wallichii (Annonaceae).

 

 

Selangor
1 July 2023
 

 



Comments